Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Answer The Damned Question

No one who needs to see this is likely to, in this most obscure corner of the Web. But here it is, just in case.

If you have a blog that gives advice, if you are perhaps even an expert in a particular area, and someone leaves a comment with a request to clarify some point or another, it might behoove you to respond. Even if your blog has a modest following and generally few comments to the articles, odds are that someone else has had the same question. And honestly, if your readership isn't overwhelming you with hundreds of comments there's no good excuse not to improve your relationship, and many reasons to make that connection.

I know of several blogs who do have what I'd consider daunting numbers of commenters who nonetheless make sure all is well in a visible and friendly way, daily. Yes, I'm slow to respond to comments sometimes, but in my defense (a) I'm not usually giving advice, and (b) I know I suck at this. Plus, I am very rarely asked anything like follow-on clarifications. All 3 of those items are scheduled to change. Those who have been doing it for some time, and on a professional level, should really have that very easy part of things figured out by now.

No comments: