Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Grammys

How much do I pay attention to big stars' intramural spats? I had no idea Taylor Swift was specifically talking about professional lunatic Kanye West in her Grammy acceptance speech warning against people who would try to take credit for your work.

I liked the idea of Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie, but it seemed like it had been reduced from something three times as long, keeping at least a bit of every cut item.

The B.B. King tribute was really excellent, though.

That reminds me of a few name items:
  • The B.B. in B.B. King is for Blues Boy.
  • The L.L. in L.L. Cool J. is for Ladies Love. The J is for James.
  • David Bowie's real last name is Jones. He took a stage name because when he got going, there was this crazy popular band, The Monkees, whose lead singer was also Davie Jones. He opted for clarity of distinction. That may have been the only time anyone thought those two could have been confused for each other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

..."professional lunatic" is hilarious! And accurate. I am so out of touch with music today and especially the music "industry" but he's hard to avoid in the "news". Although I did not realize he was with Kim Kardashian until I saw the spoof video with James Franco and Seth Rogan, which was so funny I had to investigate. Haven't watched the Grammys in years.

Peregrine John said...

I tend to miss it, through the expedient of not paying any attention to television. Last whole Grammys event I watched was when Justin Bieber was a talented kid with a bad haircut, and played and sang several times better than all the old guys who were just embarrassing. So... a few years ago, without bothering to go check. There were a few bright spots this time, and more than I've mentioned, but I feel assured that I haven't missed much in the ones that passed me by.

Peregrine John said...

(Oh, and thanks - appreciation of my goofy wit is always appreciated.)