Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Not The Idiot Whisperer

The time I have to take in a lot of news quickly is, unfortunately, the time before I'm awake enough to tamp down the urge to react to it. I suspect both that this is not uncommon and that it is not generally something about which people are usually self-aware.

But it's tempting. Two "sides" of a cultural argument, studiously ignoring the obvious inconsistencies in their own side while pointing out the exact same problems in the other, not to mention ignoring an obvious solution; the History Channel screwing with history for a tag line; rivers of feelgoodery that cause more problems than they even try to solve.

The temptation is, of course, to try to reason with all this unreason, and that leads very quickly to madness and frustration. A mantra is needed to stay back from the brink, and only respond once there is brainpower and proper time to do so.

Say it with me, friends:
I am not the idiot whisperer.
I am not the idiot whisperer.
I am not the idiot whisperer.

No comments: