Thursday, August 01, 2013

Sapiosexuality

So, this article and its comment thread are pretty hilarious in general, but this part grabbed my attention:
I find BC all kinds of hot, but it's not about his looks. It's his talent, and his GORGEOUS voice. It does things to me

I am more of a sapiosexual, in that cleverness, wit, and eloquence REEEEEALY turn me on.

Fascinating, he said with a curiously familiar intonation. My understanding of evolutionary psychology, and slowly increasing agreement with many of its concepts, tells me that such a thing was not just a running gag in Real Genius, but a genuine phenomenon. I should probably be less surprised that someone coined a word for it. I'd have gone with sapiophile, but that's just me.

Don't be misled by the commenter's dismissal of Mr. Cumberbatch's appearance: If he looked like Jabba the Hutt or even Quasimodo he wouldn't have nearly the appeal he does. Nonetheless, he is (as he himself says) an odd-looking chap, and not the usual definition of Handsome Leading Man Material. So while we cannot discount his appearance entirely, the "all kinds of hot" that johnnysgrrrl and so many others find in him can definitely be credited to his talent, intellect, and, yes, voice (which I understand to combine both timbre and delivery). Though the cleverness of his acted lines depends on the craft and wit of the scriptwriter, his intelligence shines through in the way he delivers them, and in unscripted interviews and such.

Why in the world does this catch my attention at all, aside from the arguable oddity of the thing? In short, it explains a fair bit of my own history. Though not ugly, I'm also not, nor have I ever been, especially handsome. Sure, I'm tall and reasonably well-formed, and I've learned to present myself better over the years, but generally I'm an unusual one, for better or worse. And yet I've always been able to attract, and pretty well. Once I clued into a thing or two, leading to changes that were essentially dropping some bad habits, it accelerated. But I was not one iota more handsome. To the contrary, actually, as I get older. Busy reversing some of that damage, but that's a different story.

So what's the deal? Why does Mr. Weird Guy attract without really trying, and why does the attraction build over time instead of staying the same or petering out? Well, now I know. I'm intelligent; I have socially interesting talents (music, photography, etc.); and I've a trained bass/baritone voice. Add to that the fact that I'm finally comfortable being me, being this strange-acting and odd-looking guy, not giving a rip about whether I fit in, and you have a combination that really works for some people. Fortunately for me, it's the kind of people I like to be around.

Odds are fairly strong this is another topic I'll return to later.

No comments: